So many passions, so little time!

I am new to blogging and didn't want to just pick one passion since I have so many! I love cooking gourmet and ethnic foods for family and friends. I have been low-carbing (Atkins or low glycemic diet) for 15 years. I have four young children ages 8, 7 , 3 and 1. I try to be environmentally conscious. I use cloth diapers, make my own non-toxic cleaners, and have a compost bin in the suburbs. I am a healthcare professional, working part-time, so I have plenty of advice on health, sometimes unsolicited. I also love to save money. I clip coupons, shop at discount stores, and I am an avid online shopper. I can find the best deal around! I am sure that is not all, but if I get the hang of this everyone will be privy to what I am passionate about...(doesn't this thing have spellcheck?)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day two: 7 day Vegan/Eco- Atkins challenge

The muffin was a treat for me, since I really don't eat "bready" -type things (if that is a word).  The older kids didn't really like the nutloaf, but the two little ones gobbled it up & I thought it looked and tasted delicious.  I would make it again even if I wasn't doing the vegan challenge. 


Day 2:

Breakfast:  Soy protein shake w/ chocolate & peanut butter -  cereal with almond milk for the kids

Lunch :  Atkins sweet & salty bar, flax low carb microwave muffin, handful of macadamias

Dinner:  Nut, flax, mushroom, soybean loaf and broccoli, tossed salad with Italian dressing

Flax low carb Microwave muffin

  1 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil

  1 tsp baking powder

  1/2 cup flaxmeal or ground flax seeds

  1 tsp  cinnamon

2 tbsp water or almond milk

  1 pkt Truvia or 1 tsp no calorie sweetener



Mix all in microwave safe mug.  Heat on high for 1-2 minutes or until puffed.  Serve with vegan buttery spread and/or sugar free jam.



Mushroom flax soybean nut loaf (vegan/low carb version)

Of course, you could add eggs as a binder and spices to your preference and even parmesan or Worcestershire sauce (contains anchovies) if you are not making a vegan version.  This turned out very delicious with lots of flavor and the texture was nice as well.  I stuck to low carb, but oats or breadcrumbs could be added as a filler as well. 

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg mushrooms, finely chopped or in food processor
1 cup walnuts
1 cup almonds
1 can black soybeans, drained (optional)
¼ cup vital wheat gluten (binder- optional)

½ cup flaxseed meal

½ cup almond or soy milk
spices to taste, I used a vegan meatloaf seasoning mix with dried onion, and vegetable bouillon
1 tblsp tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste.

Sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add mushrooms and sauté an additional 5 minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
For better flavor, suggest roast nuts before grinding in a pan or oven- take care not to burn them.  I am sure it would taste OK if you didn’t do this.   Process nuts and soybeans in food processor until coarsely ground.  Mix mushroom mixture, nut mixture and remaining ingredients. Spoon into oiled loaf pan. Press the mixture into pan and form into a loaf. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until brown and fragrant, but moist inside. Stand 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment